Bringing Light to the Darkness of Human Trafficking (Trafficking in Persons)

courts gavel1
A couple have been sent for trial accused of human trafficking and controlling prostitution in an alleged racket in Co Tyrone
The man is also charged with raping one of the alleged victims two times.

The case is one of the first to be brought using the Human Trafficking & Exploitation legislation introduced in 2015. Appearing together in the dock for a preliminary inquiry at Dungannon Magistrates Court were Hungarian nationals Gyorgy Orsos (32) and his girlfriend Evelyn Covacs (21), both previously of John Street in the town.

Orsos has been remanded in custody since his arrest and several bail applications have proved unsuccessful. Covacs was initially refused bail but later released to an address at Galgorm Road, Ballymena, following an application at the High Court.

Both had their respective charges read by an interpreter.

Orsos faces 10 charges including three counts of human trafficking and two counts each of rape, controlling prostitution, and acquiring criminal property. He is alleged to have facilitated the female victim's travel to Northern Ireland with a view to exploiting her. He is further accused of raping her on two occasions, destroying her phone and intentionally controlling her in prostitution for financial gain.

Orsos is also charged with obtaining criminal property, namely £16,000 and a quantity of euros. Covacs faces a single count of human trafficking, and two of controlling prostitution for gain.

The offences are alleged to have occurred on dates between October 2016 and May 2017.

There was initially one female victim, but a second was added to the list of charges at committal stage.

Orsos and Covacs are jointly accused of controlling the second victim in prostitution between January and March 2017. The alleged racket was uncovered after a police raid in Dungannon.

District Judge John Meehan ruled there is a case to answer and ordered the pair be returned for arraignment at Dungannon Crown Court on March 15.

Orsos was remanded back into custody while Covacs was released on continuing bail with conditions.

Belfast Telegraph

Article from: